3. NRG Energy (NRG), like GenOn, is an undervalued independent power producer. Its success is similarly dependent upon power demand, which has remained at depressed levels since the recession. Morningstar describes its fleet of coal and nuclear power plants as "ultra low-cost." So, should power demand rebound, which is expected as the economy grows, NRG will see a jump in demand and earnings. It retrofitted plants to burn Powder River Basin coal, a more efficient input, elevating coal-fired margins. Still, Morningstar views this as a risky pick.
Like GenOn, NRG has high "fair-value uncertainty." It trades at a discount to other industry investments because it is subject to a variety of risks. If natural gas prices fail to rise in line with expectations, the economy falters, electricity demand stagnates or Washington imposes new emissions standards, then NRG's shares will drop in value. Further, Morningstar expects margin deterioration through 2012 and then a pickup as growth accelerates. A recent deal to purchase assets from Dynegy fell through when the company rejected a contingent buyout from Blackstone Group.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV