No. 4: Philadelphia International Airport
Philadelphia, which received 16.4% of the votes, is the only airport on this list where a single carrier operates a major hub. Typically, at such an airport, cooperation between the hub carrier and the airport is close, and constant improvement seems easier to maintain.
PHL has seven terminal buildings. Concourse A West, opened in 2003 as the international terminal, is generally applauded. As one reader commented, "In Philadelphia,
(LCC) International A terminal is gorgeous, but walk over to the domestic side and one truly does wonder if
In Terminals B and C, the principal US Airways domestic terminals, the carrier spent several million dollars in 2006 to upgrade its gate areas. It painted them, added new seats and lights and enhanced the display boards. Now, a $117 million improvement project is planned in Terminal F, which is occupied by regional carriers. "We're happy to call Philadelphia home," said US Airways spokeswoman Michelle Mohr.Nevertheless, step out of the gate areas in B and C and elsewhere, and the corridors are old and narrow and wholly inadequate for the heavy passenger traffic. Terminal E, used by Southwest (LUV), is similarly inadequate for the amount of passenger traffic.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV