5 Ugliest Airports in the U.S.
No. 4: Philadelphia International Airport
Philadelphia, which received 16.4% of the votes, is the only airport on this list where a single carrier operates a major hub. Typically, at such an airport, cooperation between the hub carrier and the airport is close, and constant improvement seems easier to maintain.
PHL has seven terminal buildings. Concourse A West, opened in 2003 as the international terminal, is generally applauded. As one reader commented, "In Philadelphia, US Airways' (LCC) International A terminal is gorgeous, but walk over to the domestic side and one truly does wonder if [he] is at the same airport."
In Terminals B and C, the principal US Airways domestic terminals, the carrier spent several million dollars in 2006 to upgrade its gate areas. It painted them, added new seats and lights and enhanced the display boards. Now, a $117 million improvement project is planned in Terminal F, which is occupied by regional carriers. "We're happy to call Philadelphia home," said US Airways spokeswoman Michelle Mohr.Nevertheless, step out of the gate areas in B and C and elsewhere, and the corridors are old and narrow and wholly inadequate for the heavy passenger traffic. Terminal E, used by Southwest (LUV), is similarly inadequate for the amount of passenger traffic.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV