NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Five of Ireland's remaining banks had their credit rating downgraded on Monday.
Allied Irish Banks (AIB), Bank of Ireland, EBS Building Society, Irish Life & Permanent, ICS Building Society and Irish Nationwide Building Society each had their credit rating lowered several notches by Moody's Investor Services (MCO). The downgrades were applied to several layers of the banks' ratable risks, including financial strength, senior debt, deposits and junior securities.
The bank downgrade follows Moody's decision on Friday to lower the Irish sovereign credit rating from Aa2 to Baa1. The rating agency slashed the sovereign ratings after it expressed concerns that the government's financial strength could deteriorate because of losses at its banks and slow growth in the Irish economy.
"The downgrade of the standalone ratings [reflects] their ongoing high reliance on external support for day-to-day funding, the uncertain evolution of their respective franchises amidst an expected far-reaching restructuring of the entire sector, and likely further pressure on asset quality as a result of the government's austerity measures," said Ross Abercromby, analyst for Irish banks at Moody's.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV