BASEL, Switzerland ( TheStreet) - Novartis (NVS), the Swiss pharmaceutical company, plans to build a new, full-scale drug manufacturing plant in St. Petersburg, Russia, part of a five-year plan to invest $500 million in the country.
The St. Petersburg plant is expected to manufacture both high quality branded generics as well as pharmaceuticals. The plant is expected to produce about 1.5 billion units a year.
Construction is scheduled to start in 2011, Novartis said in a press release Monday.
The investment, Novartis said, is expected to be one of its largest in local manufacturing.Novartis also said it has committed to double its investments in drug development in clinical trials in Russia and expects to enroll about 4,000 individuals by 2013. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV