Sara Lee Mulls Sale to JBS: Report
NEW YORK -- Sara Lee Corp.'s (SLE) shares surged Friday after a report that it is considering a sale to JBS SA, the world's largest beef company.
The Wall Street Journal reported that people familiar with the matter said JBS approached Sara Lee with an offer, and the talks have been off and on for several months.
Sara Lee, whose brands include Jimmy Dean sausage and has been considering JBS's offer more seriously in recent weeks, the Journal reported, though no decision has been made.
JBS has a market capitalization nearly equal to Sara Lee, which could make it challenging to assemble a full takeover offer.Sara Lee is in flux. The company's CEO Brenda Barnes stepped down in August while recovering from a stroke. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll A representative from Sara Lee said the company had no comment. JBS could not be reached. Sara Lee has also been selling off business lines and may consider breaking up its businesses further. The Wall Street Journal report says that the company is also considering breaking up its core meats and beverages businesses and put them up for sale. JBS, the world's largest beef exporter, and Sara Lee could not be reached for comment. Shares of Sara Lee rose 87 cents, more than 5%, to close Friday at $17.26. Shares fell 12 cents in after-hours trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV