Catalyst Value Fund (CTVAX), $73 million in assets, a return of 16.3% this year and a 14% three-year annualized return, a performance that earned it a five-star rating (the highest) from Morningstar.
The fund throws out a big net in searching for prospects, and, as a result, has some particularly small stocks in its portfolio. Its top five holdings are: IDT (IDT) , 9.6%; Global Ship Lease (GSL), 8%; EBIX (EBIX), 7.7%, GSI, 7.3%; and China MediaExpress (CCME), 6%.Global Ship Lease (GSL), 8% of the fund; price: $4.94; up 244% this year; market cap: $272 million. Global Ship Lease is a container-ship-leasing company that buys vessels and charters them to container-shipping companies. Revenue for the nine months ended Sept. 30 was $118.8 million, up 9% from a year earlier, but it posted a net loss of $5.2 million, or 10 cents a share. Catalyst Value owns 3% of the company's outstanding shares. Reading International (RDI), 5.8% of fund; price: $4.97; up 23% this year; market cap: $116 million. The company owns and manages commercial real estate and agricultural properties, in particular a number of theaters that provide live entertainment. It has a forward price-to-earnings ratio of 16.4. For the nine months through Sept. 30, it reported a net loss of $12.1 million, which includes a tax settlement charge of that amount. Cinedigm Digital Cinema (CIDM), 1.3% of the fund; price: $1.47; up 20% this year; market cap: $46 million. The company's technology enables movie theaters and others to transfer film to digital-film formats. It has a technology used to deliver digital movies and other content via satellite or fiber-optic cable. In the first half of its fiscal year through Sept. 30, it reported revenue of $38.2 million, a 13% increase from a year earlier, and a loss of $18 million, or 60 cents a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV