Veeco shares are down 15% through midday Friday, and Aixtron shares are down by roughly half that amount. All it took was a downgrade from Citigroup -- based on fears that the Chinese subsidy support for the equipment makers' sales will be cut off -- to send the stocks down early in the week.
The LED equipment stocks tanked again on Thursday afternoon, though, after a Chinese newspaper quoted an official from Yangzhou as saying that the subsidies will be cut as of July 1, 2011. The Chinese press report also quoted the Citigroup analyst.Between Citi and the Chinese region where the LED subsidies first began, the LED equipment makers can't catch a break. On Friday, Aixtron shares continued sliding, while Veeco share bleeding stopped after its 15% loss for the week. That said, several LED stock specialists say that all the focus on the China subsidy issue, particularly as it only focuses on one city in China, is missing the forest for the trees when it comes to analyzing what will make or break LED stocks in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV