1. Citigroup (C)
Company Profile: Citigroup provides a range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit cards.Share Price: $4.70 (Dec. 17) 2010 Stock Performance: 42% Analyst Consensus: Citigroup tops our list with 15 "buy" ratings from research analysts. Nine other analysts have a "hold" rating, and three others say investors should sell shares. Bullish Case: In a Dec. 1 research note, Deutsche Bank analyst Matt O'Connor reiterated his "buy" rating on Citigroup and said the bank remains his top large-cap bank stock with upside room to run. O'Connor's research note was released a few days before the Treasury Department sold its remaining 2.4 billion shares in Citigroup, netting the Treasury a profit of $12 billion on its $45 billion investment in the bank. "In the near term, we still see upside to the stock given an attractive valuation -- at a 5% discount to current tangible book of $4.44 and a 15%-20% discount on our year-end 2011 tangible book estimate of about $5 -- and the likely successful exit of the remaining government stake," O'Conner wrote. "Looking out medium/long term, the focus will likely shift toward the underlying performance of Citi's businesses -- some of which have delivered mixed results, but seem to be moving in the right direction." -- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston. >To see these stocks in action, visit the Top Stock Pick Under $5 portfolio on Stockpickr.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Robert Holmes. >To follow Robert Holmes on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/RobTheStreet. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV