After a rollercoaster ride in equity markets this year, investors are more than willing to put 2010 in the rearview mirror and look ahead to opportunities in 2011. The case has already been made for investors to pile into quality, large-cap stocks, as money managers expect them to thrive after a decade of sluggishness.
Others may find more value in stocks trading under $5, which typically don't receive attention from mutual funds due to their miniscule share prices. Many of these low-priced stocks have proven to be winners, including SMTC Corp. (SMTX), Wabash National (WNC) and Callon Petroleum (CPE), all of which more than tripled this year.
In January, Jamie Dlugosch ofInvestorPlace offered five penny stocks that offered potential rewards in 2010. Some fared incredibly well, while others languished.
- Sirius XM (SIRI) is up 130% this year
- Denny's (DENN) has rallied 67%
- MoneyGram International (MGI) has fallen about 10%
- Majesco Entertainment (COOL) is down 35%
- Oilsands Quest (BQI) is down 64%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV