NEW YORK (Karvy) -- Stocks like China Petroleum & Chemical (SNP) and PetroChina (PTR) from China and Oil India Limited, Oil and Natural Gas Co. and Reliance Industries from India are stocks to watch in the energy space as crude oil prices reached $90 a barrel earlier this month.
Emerging economies such as China and India are sustaining oil demand, given the flat scenario in most of the developed countries. Wood Mackenzie, the independent energy and metals research consultant firm, suggests that both diesel and gasoline demand in China is growing 8% annually. In India, diesel and gasoline are growing at 7% and 11%, respectively.
In fact, during the past decade, energy needs in China and India have doubled with the countries becoming the second- and fourth-largest consumers, respectively.
Global oil demand is expected to breach the peak levels reached in 2007, according to Wood Mackenzie. Global oil demand in 2010 is likely to reach an annual average of 86.7 million barrels a day (mbd) and grow further to 88.1 mbd in 2011. Worldwide, oil demand is poised to grow by 2.5 mbd in 2010, one of the largest growth rates on record, according to the consulting firm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV