NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- These best-performing metals & mining stocks surged in the range of 61% to 190% year-to-date, while the S&P 500 Index and the SPDR S&P Metals and Mining ETF (XME) gained around 10.7% and 26.5%, respectively.
Precious metals stocks dominate the list, given the current upsurge in these metals prices. During 2010, gold, silver, platinum and palladium for spot delivery on the New York Mercantile Exchange gained around 26%, 72%, 16% and 84%, respectively. In comparison, copper, aluminum and nickel for spot delivery on the London Metal Exchange were up 24%, 5% and 32%, respectively. Meanwhile, lead remained relatively flat year-to-date, while zinc declined 11% on the LME.
The continued uptrend in metals prices could support a rally in metals & mining stocks in 2011. Some of these 10 stocks may continue to outperform their peers and broader markets.
Analysts favor some of these stocks as indicated by the percentage of buy ratings and the upside implied from the consensus estimates of target price.The stocks are ordered by 2010 return, from great to greatest.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV