NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Both Oracle (ORCL) and BlackBerry maker Research In Motion (RIMM) -- posted their most recent quarterly earnings Thursday after the bell, and both handily beat Street expectations.
Oracle reported an adjusted profit of $2.6 billion, or 51 cents a share, on revenue of $8.65 billion for its fiscal second quarter ended Nov. 30. The performance topped the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for earnings of 46 cents a share on revenue of $8.34 billion.
RIM's profit jumped to $1.74 per share from $1.10 cents per share during the year-ago period. Analysts had expected the company to post earnings of $1.64 per share. Revenue rose 40% over the same quarter last year to $5.5 billion, and ahead of analysts expectations of $5.4 billion.RIM also said that smartphone shipments were 14.2 million, in line with analyst estimates of 14 million. Both companies climbed in after-hours trading following their conference calls; RIM was up 2.28% to $60.59, and Oracle was up nearly 4% to $31.45.
--Blog written by James Rogers, Scott Moritz and Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writers on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/TheStreet_Tech. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV