Herman Miller shares have popped by 7.7% to $24.91 in midday trading. Earlier Thursday, the stock reached a 52-week high of $24.99. Trading volume has more than doubled to about 751,998 compared with an average daily churn of 307,818.
Second-quarter net earnings skyrocketed by 86.5% to $17.9 million, or 26 cents per share, from $9.6 million, or 17 cents in the year ago period. On an adjusted basis, earnings were 29 cents, beating estimates by a penny.
Net sales grew 19.9% to $412.2 million, from $343.7 million the year before, beating the average target of $391.2 million.New orders within Herman Miller's North American business segment were up 35.8% and new orders from the company's non-North American segment reported a year-over-year increase in orders of 31.3%. Backlog shot up 34.8% from the year ago period. Shares of peers Steelcase (SCS) and Knoll (KNL) have risen 0.9% to $10.20 and 5.2% to $16.01 respectively, receiving a boost from the solids earnings news. >>Search for Highest Dividends by Rate or Yield
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV