After Wednesday's closing bell, the Redwood City, Calif.-based medical device company filed a pair of registration statements with the Securities and Exchange Commission. One announced plans for existing shareholders to sell roughly 6.2 million common shares at a maximum price of $2.46 each.
The other alerts investors to the dilutive sale of an additional $40 million worth of common stock and warrants, a considerable amount given the company's market capitalization stands at just under $100 million.
The filings follow a sensational run in the past week for Cardica's stock, which has jumped more than 50% since closing at $2.42 last Thursday. The shares rose almost 18% on Wednesday alone to finish at $3.84, making for year-to-date appreciation of 180%. Volume has soared along with the share price as trading has exceeded at least 300,000 in the past four sessions vs. the issue's three-month trailing daily average of around 50,000.The driver for the recent buying interest was a strong recommendation from Wedbush Morgan. which initiated coverage of the stock with an outperform rating. The firm's bullish thesis is based on its enthusiasm for Cardica's Microcutter product, an endoscopic stapling device that's still in clinical development. In its note to clients about Cardica, Wedbush did note the company would likely need to bulk up its balance sheet. The company's cash balance stood at around $15 million at the end of September, an amount that the firm estimated would be enough to fund operations through the development and initial launch of Microcutter, which is expected to occur in the the company's fiscal 2012 first quarter ending in September. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV