CORNING, N.Y. ( TheStreet) -- Smartphones, tablets, HDTVs and the new breed of 3-D TVs dominate wish lists and will go on doing so -- very good news indeed for Corning (GLW), a leading maker of the specialty glass and ceramics that goes on and in each device.
The company is positioning itself to take advantage of the demand by expanding its headquarters and work force -- bucking the bad economy with growth and the creation of jobs.
|Samsung's new Galaxy Tab computer is just one of many new devices using the reinforced but lightweight glass dubbed Gorilla Glass by its maker, Corning.|
What jobs: There will likely be commercial and R&D opportunities for engineers. Sample job title: "Gorilla Glass process engineer."Where to look: Expect hiring in Corning and at a plant in Harrodsburg, Ky. Why and how: The catalyst for Corning's recent growth is an old product seeing new life. More than 40 years ago, Corning researchers developed Chemcor,once codenamed Project Muscle, a material that could withstand up to 100,000 pounds of pressure per square inch. During testing -- blasted by frozen chickens, in fact -- it survived with nary a scratch. The product was both a hit and a miss. Though used in the automotive, aviation, and pharmaceutical industries, mass adoption stalled.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV