CORNING, N.Y. (TheStreet) -- Smartphones, tablets, HDTVs and the new breed of 3-D TVs dominate wish lists and will go on doing so -- very good news indeed for Corning (GLW), a leading maker of the specialty glass and ceramics that goes on and in each device.
The company is positioning itself to take advantage of the demand by expanding its headquarters and work force -- bucking the bad economy with growth and the creation of jobs.
|Samsung's new Galaxy Tab computer is just one of many new devices using the reinforced but lightweight glass dubbed Gorilla Glass by its maker, Corning.|
What jobs: There will likely be commercial and R&D opportunities for engineers. Sample job title: "Gorilla Glass process engineer."Where to look: Expect hiring in Corning and at a plant in Harrodsburg, Ky. Why and how: The catalyst for Corning's recent growth is an old product seeing new life. More than 40 years ago, Corning researchers developed Chemcor,once codenamed Project Muscle, a material that could withstand up to 100,000 pounds of pressure per square inch. During testing -- blasted by frozen chickens, in fact -- it survived with nary a scratch. The product was both a hit and a miss. Though used in the automotive, aviation, and pharmaceutical industries, mass adoption stalled.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV