3. Vimicro International (VIMC - Get Report) designs, manufactures and sells semiconductors in China. Specifically, it is the leading chipmaker for PC webcams and has enjoyed several design wins for mobile phones, which are rapidly proliferating.
The company also has a unit focused on surveillance camera chips. Although recent losses have hurt Vimicro's stock (it is down 31% in 2010), Morningstar expects a return to profitability in 2011, with an operating margin in the low- to mid-teens. A major issue is the lack of intellectual property enforcement in China, which threatens Vimicro's market share. Also, the semiconductor industry is subject to technological obsolescence and sharp cyclical swings.
Morningstar values Vimicro at $7 with a residual income model, implying the stock could nearly double.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts