3. Vimicro International (VIMC) designs, manufactures and sells semiconductors in China. Specifically, it is the leading chipmaker for PC webcams and has enjoyed several design wins for mobile phones, which are rapidly proliferating.
The company also has a unit focused on surveillance camera chips. Although recent losses have hurt Vimicro's stock (it is down 31% in 2010), Morningstar expects a return to profitability in 2011, with an operating margin in the low- to mid-teens. A major issue is the lack of intellectual property enforcement in China, which threatens Vimicro's market share. Also, the semiconductor industry is subject to technological obsolescence and sharp cyclical swings.
Morningstar values Vimicro at $7 with a residual income model, implying the stock could nearly double.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV