5. Dean Foods (DF) is the leading processor and distributor in the U.S. dairy market (with sales about five times as large as the second-biggest competitor's). Recently, higher commodity costs and competition have displaced its dairy segment.
According to Morningstar, many consumers traded down to private-label dairy during the recession and haven't returned to brand-name products. Dean is engaging in extreme cost-cutting and pricing strategies to protect profitability while regaining customers. A sizable debt load, with a debt-to-equity ratio of 2.7, and narrow operating margin, at just 3.3%, are obvious negatives. But, investors have abandoned Dean. It is the worst-performing S&P 500 stock of 2010, down 55%. Its cash flow multiple of 2.8 reflects an 80% packaged foods peer discount.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV