6. First American Financial (FAF), spun-off of First American in June, is a title and specialty insurance company, based in California.
After rising to the top of the title-insurance industry, with a leading market share, First American was recently eclipsed by Fidelity National, which purchased the title-operations of bankrupt LandAmerica. The title insurance business is dependent upon the real estate market because it is issued only upon the purchase or refinancing of property. First American executed rapid cost-saving in 2007 and 2008. Its business is now lean and mean and poised to grow in the coming years.
However, a prolonged, depressed transaction level in the real estate market is the dominant risk to Morningstar's thesis and could keep the stock trading at a discount to its fair-value estimate of $26.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV