What Small Businesses Can Learn From Santa
He stays positive.
In The Night Before Christmas, Santa is described as "a right jolly old elf." Good-natured cheer is a key part of the Santa brand. Yes, he may be run ragged by mid-December, but he never lets the stress show. Not only does that confidence inspire trust from the public, his can-do spirit motivates his team to slog through the final rush of toymaking. Ever heard of the elves going on strike? Santa must be doing something right to keep them working productively in the run-up to Christmas.
He doesn't overpay for real estate.
Santa must have cash-flow problems -- giving away all those toys for free isn't really a sustainable business model. But he knows how to cut costs where it counts. Real estate is a bargain in the weather-challenged North Pole, and that's just the way Santa likes it.
For some small businesses, location and decor are competitive advantages (think spas and restaurants). But if you're working on a more artisanal model -- like Santa -- getting the job done is more important than dazzling your customers. While exact details of Santa's workshop headquarters are sketchy, storing all those toys must require a lot of warehouse space. By building where land was cheap, Santa kept his fixed costs to a minimum.
While it may be impossible for any company to replicate Santa's business model, we can all be inspired by his sheer staying power. After all, this is a guy whose brand has stayed relevant for hundreds of years. He must be doing something right.>To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV