NEW YORK (SmartStops) -- Exchange-traded funds such as SPDR S&P Biotech ETF (XBI), the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB), the Biotech HOLDRs (BBH) and the iShares Dow Jones US Pharmaceuticals (IHE) have been affected in recent weeks by a significant uptick in mergers and acquisitions in the sector.
This activity has been fueled by cash-heavy companies looking to diversify and broaden their horizons.
To put this into perspective, in just two days, nearly $3.1 billion in biotech-related deals were announced, and some suggest more activity is to come.
Big Pharma front-runners such as Pfizer (PFE), Sanofi-Aventis (SNE), Amgen (AMGN) and Merck (MRK) are expected to find themselves in something of a rut because of expiring patents and lackluster drug pipelines.As a result, Big Pharma is likely to look at smaller, more nimble companies that are focusing on specific treatments and medical specialties. Some ETFs that are likely to be influenced by this increased activity include:
- SPDR S&P Biotech ETF, which allocates nearly 51.5% of its assets to small-cap companies and 30.75% to medium-cap companies, which are the most susceptible to M&A activity.
- iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF, which tracks big players like Amgen as well as small and mid-cap stocks that are prime targets for M&A.
- Biotech HOLDRs, which predominantly allocates its holdings to large-cap companies such as Amgen, Gilead Sciences (GILD) and Biogen Idec Inc (BIIB). These are the likely acquirers in the sector.
- iShares Dow Jones US Pharmaceuticals, which includes drug giants Pfizer and Merck among its top holdings.
>To contact the staff member responsible for this article, click here: Ross Snel. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV