NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The downgrades of Veeco (VECO) and Aixtron (AIXG) on Tuesday put the brakes on the recent rally in LED stocks, but it was the Veeco downgrade to a hold by Citigroup that really exacted the biggest toll on shares.
Veeco shares were down 16% on Tuesday, whereas Aixtron shares were down 4%.
For two stocks that are in the same exact business and typically trade as a basket trade on the outlook in the LED sector, it's a little confusing to see such a disparity in the trading on Tuesday. Sure, it was negative sentiment for both Veeco and Aixtron, but the 12% additional decline in Veeco shares didn't seem warranted. Veeco had the biggest loss on the market in Tuesday trading. So was the Veeco selling overdone?
All the LED stocks were down and trading volume was elevated for the entire sector.All it takes -- especially after a rally, which has been going on for over a month -- is for a major Street firm to step up and renew everyone's worst fear of something going wrong for the volatile LED sector, and the LED stocks will be under the gun once more. LED stocks have been on a run since a late summer/early fall selloff, led by Cree (CREE). Over the past three months, the rise of LED stocks far surpasses the gains in the Nasdaq and S&P 500, up 16% and 11% respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV