In other words, enrollment growth has been slowing across the for-profit education sector, and regulatory uncertainty persists, so "it's tough to get excited about the outlook." Wetenhall told TheStreet the sector is in need of "something dramatically material to provide torque to the stocks," adding that "with the absence of a hard catalyst, we tend to focus on what can go wrong rather than right."
For-profit school stocks faced harsh criticism in 2010 about colleges' staggeringly low graduation rates and high student loan default rates . Future enrollment figures were called into question, schools were accused of failing to adequately prepare students for profitable careers yet leave them saddled with heavy debt and federally proposed restrictions on the industry's business operations cast a shadow no bull market could fully offset.
With all this in mind, we'd like to know which for-profit postsecondary education provider you think will outperform in 2011. Click through our roundup of 2010's winners and losers of the for-profit education sector . Then take our poll and see what readers of TheStreet think.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV