NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Even in a year of recovering bank stocks, there have to be some losers.
But the pain has certainly eased-off from the previous two years and there are some quality names among the group, including Washington Federal (WFSL), which has an ample war chest to fund acquisitions and People's United Financial (PBCT) which is rapidly expanding.
While there's no common theme among the group, most of them are strongly capitalized and have double-digit upside based on average price targets among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, with Capitol Federal Financial (CFFN) - a mutual holding company going through a conversion - having the most upside of 42%. Capitol Federal also boasts the highest dividend yield among the group, of 8.29%.
Only four out of the ten holding companies took government assistance through the Troubled Assets Relief Program, or TARP, and two have since repaid the government in full. Of the remaining TARP participants, First Horizon National (FHN) priced an offering of common shares on Monday and announced plans to repay the government.Here are the 10 bank holding companies among the largest 100 by market capitalization with the largest year-to-date decline in share price:
TermsFor each of the 10 bank holding companies discussed on the following pages, we'll be looking at capital strength, earnings quality and asset quality. For an explanation of those terms you can click on the box below.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV