Editor's Note: This column originally published on Dec. 15 predicted European regulatory approval of InterMune's lung drug as the company announced today. Shares of the stock more than doubled on today's news.
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- I'm pleased to present 15 predictions for the biotech and drug sectors in 2011.
Why 15 predictions in 2011? Why not?
Some of these prognostications are serious, others not so. Almost all would be big surprises were they to come true.1. Cell Therapeutics (CTIC) will increase its share count to 2 billion, followed by a 60:1 reverse stock split. Pixantrone still isn't approved. 2. At least one leading U.S. academic medical center will bar its doctors from consulting with Wall Street investors. Soon after, one or more health care-focused expert networks will shutter operations. 3. Dendreon (DNDN) will experience a temporary disruption in Provenge sales due to a problem at one of its manufacturing plants. 4. By the end of the year, one or more of these companies will be gobbled up in an M&A deal: Amarin (AMRN), Seattle Genetics (SGEN), Human Genome Sciences (HGSI), Pharmasset (VRUS), Onyx Pharmaceuticals (ONXX), Biomarin Pharmaceuticals (BMRN). 5. Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) will end 2011 still trying to convince FDA to approve its weight-loss drug lorcaserin. 6. One of the large-cap biotech companies will begin paying a dividend. 7. Sequenom's (SQNM) attempt to commercially launch a fetal DNA test for Down's syndrome will be stopped by FDA, which decides to enact stronger regulatory control over all genetic tests.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV