Brazil: Winners and Losers
Companhia Siderurgica Nacional (SID) was up 2.5%. The steelmaker recently revealed that it signed a memorandum of understanding with Spanish-based Alfonso Gallardo Group for the negotiation and eventual acquisition of stakes in three Spanish companies, namely cement maker Cementos Balboa (Balboa), and steel producers Corrugados Azpeitia (Azpeitia) and Corrugados Lasao (Lasao). These transactions valued at about $472.7 million are likely to be concluded in first quarter of 2011.
Companhia de Saneamento Basico do Estado de Sao Paulo-SABESP (SBS) increased 1.8% during the past week. The company last week launched a $350 million, 10-year bond issue with a yield of 6.25%.Among others, Vale (VALE) was up 1.1%. Leading the losers' list was Gol Linhas Aereas Inteligentes (GOL), a low-cost airline, which shed 7.8% last week despite a 2.9% year-over-year increase in domestic passenger traffic for November and a 27.2% gain in international traffic. Companhia Paranaense de Energia - Copel (ELP) dropped 5.2% although the company was upgraded to neutral from the earlier underperform recommendation by Zacks Investment Research. Centrais Eletricas Brasileiras (Eletrobras) (EBR) and TAM (TAM) were down 4.35 and 3.8%, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV