UCB Announces Start Of Phase III Program With Epratuzumab For Patients With Moderate To Severe Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Two Phase III Studies, EMBODY™ 1 and 2, Underway for Pipeline Drug Epratuzumab
- Phase III Program Follows Positive Phase IIb Study EMBLEM™, Which Showed That Epratuzumab Reduced Disease Activity Over a 12-Week Treatment Period
MORRIS PLAINS, New Jersey and BRUSSELS, Dec. 14, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Immunomedics Inc. (Nasdaq:IMMU) and UCB (EURONEXT:UCB) today announced the enrollment of the first patient into EMBODY™ 1, one of two pivotal Phase III studies of epratuzumab in patients with moderate to severe systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Patient enrollment for EMBODY™ 2 has also begun.
"We are pleased to announce the launch of our Phase III program with epratuzumab, which marks UCB's intent to develop this compound for such a severe disease," said Prof. Dr. Iris Loew-Friedrich, Chief Medical Officer of UCB. She added, "The consistency of improvements demonstrated by epratuzumab in the clinical studies to-date is an encouraging platform to start the next phase of trials, and is a hopeful sign of the drug's potential to become an effective new treatment option for lupus."
Both studies (EMBODY™ 1 and EMBODY™ 2) are multicenter, placebo-controlled, randomized, double-blind studies designed to evaluate the efficacy, safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of epratuzumab in patients with moderate to severe SLE. Each study will last a maximum of 54 weeks and will randomize 780 subjects in the study, with approximately 130 planned investigational sites per study. The Phase III program has undergone the relevant regulatory advice procedures.The primary objective of the studies is to confirm the clinical efficacy of epratuzumab in the treatment of patients with moderate to severe general SLE, in addition to continuing standard of care treatments. The results from the Phase IIb study, EMBLEM™, showed that all epratuzumab doses, which ranged from 200mg to 3,600mg cumulative dose administered during one 12-week treatment cycle, had numerically superior response rates compared to placebo at week 12. For patients receiving epratuzumab at a cumulative dose of 2,400mg, there were meaningful and statistically significant* reductions in SLE disease activity, with responder rates more than double those of placebo.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV