3. Berkshire Focus Fund (BFOCX), up 48% this year.
This $28 million fund is a whirling dervish of trading, with a portfolio turnover of 833%. Manager Malcolm Fobes III, on board since the fund's inception in July 1, 1997, is certainly "focused," with 28 stocks and 73% of the fund invested in the top 10, but considers them long-term growth stocks.Fobes has wide latitude in his picks, as evidenced by the fund's second-largest allocation (8%), to restaurant chain Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG). That can be forgiven as it has a return of 167% this year. The rest of the top picks include all the usual suspects for a technology portfolio: Apple (AAPL), which is driving fund returns at a 23% allocation; Salesforce.com (CPR), 7% of the fund, and a 101% return; Chinese Internet search engine Baidu (BIDU), 6%, and with a 163% return; and Netflix (NFLX), 5% of the fund and carrying a 247% return. The fund's most profitable pick is Acme Packet (APKT), with a 387% return this year. The fund was up 84% last year, after losing 57% of its value in 2008.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV