NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Retail had a comeback year in 2010.
So far, retail sales have gained 4.4% for the year, says Craig Johnson, president of Customer Growth Partners. With Christmas on pace to be the biggest in three years, Johnson predicts sales could end the year up 4.6%, only a percentage point away from the historical average.
Retail stocks have steadily improved throughout 2010, with many taking off after releasing impressive third-quarter earnings reports.While the retail recovery hit a speed bump mid-year when it was believed the economy was headed for a double dip, the sector still saw substantial gains, with the S&P Retail Index increasing 24% to 509.17 for the year-to-date period. TheStreet used I-Metrix to calculate which retail stocks saw the biggest percentage gains in 2010. The top 10 stocks stretch across the industry, from dollar store chains to luxury department stores. The question is, will this year's winners be able to carry the momentum into 2011? Here's a look at the top retail stock gainers of 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV