Gold for February delivery added $13.10 to $1,398 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,400.20 and as low as $1,380.80 during Monday's session.
Inaction and high inflation in China were helping gold prices Monday. On Saturday, the country reported that inflation in November jumped to a two-year high of 5.1%, dragging year-on-year growth up to 9.6%. The number was widely expected but so was an interest rate hike, which never came.At an annual economic policy meeting over the weekend, officials promised a more "prudent" economic policy targeting certain areas for growth and tempering inflation. The expectation is that China will be forced to raise interest rates but officials are putting off this move in order to keep its local currency low for as long as possible. The delay only adds to negative high interest rates in the country which is a perfect storm for gold prices. Real interest rates are the interest rate minus the inflation rate. According to reports, one-year deposit rates in China are 2.5% and with inflation at 5.1%, the real interest rate is negative 2.6%. Gold becomes attractive when rates are negative because the yuan is literally worth less. If real rates are at negative 2.6%, money is being valued at a lower rate gold becomes a safer place to preserve wealth. China did raise the amount banks must hold in their reserves by 50 basis points Friday to fight inflation, but the move is the sixth time this year and isn't expected to take enough money out of circulation to tame growth. The "increasing inflation pressure in China creates a positive environment to future bullion gains with the metals to remain underpinned by dip-buying," writes James Moore, analyst at thebulliondesk.com in his daily metals report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV