Enzo Biochem Announces First Quarter Results
Enzo Biochem, Inc. (NYSE:ENZ) today reported improved sequential results for the first fiscal quarter ended October 31, 2010, the result of recent programs to reduce expenses, consolidate activities and expand operations.
“We are pleased to report that our program instituted this quarter aimed at making Enzo more efficient and designed to produce more effective use of our assets is beginning to show results, as demonstrated by improved performance, ” said Barry Weiner, President. “While we are in the early stages of this comprehensive program, the results experienced to date are very encouraging.”
“Moreover, in the first quarter, we achieved several milestones. We submitted Colon Sentry, a unique assay for risk-stratification of colon cancer occurrence, to the New York State Department of Health for approval. In addition, we began enrolling the first patients in our clinical trial of Optiquel™, our candidate therapeutic for the treatment of autoimmune uveitis. We also continued to roll out proprietary products and systems designed to aid in drug development,” he added.
Among the quarter’s highlights (all references are to sequential quarter over quarter results, normalized for an inventory charge and severance of $1.8 million where applicable):
- Enzo Life Sciences, benefiting from increased emphasis on higher margin products, realized a greater than 100% gain in operating income.
- Enzo Clinical Labs increased revenues 6%, while reducing the operating loss 62%.
- Company-wide, gross margin increased $2.0 million or 17%.
- Operating expenses decreased 7%, or to 57% of revenues, from 63%.
- EBITDA, a non-GAAP measure, was $23,000, an improvement of $2.9 million from the prior quarter.
- Net loss for the quarter was reduced 70%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV