6. Merck (MRK) is a global pharmaceutical company.
12-Month Sales Growth: 88%
12-Month Net Income Growth: -2%
Quarterly Operating Profit Margin: 30%
Cash Flow Multiple: 12 (7% peer premium)
Analysts' Median Target: $41.65
3-Year Dividend Growth: 0%
Dividend Yield: 4.2%
Payout Ratio: 54%
2011 Catalyst: Merck is a solid dividend stock. Its 4.2% yield is third-highest in the blue-chip Dow. However, it hasn't increased the distribution since 2004. As with Pfizer, patent expiry is a concern.However, analysts see value in Merck shares. A forward earnings multiple of 9.4, a book value multiple of 2 and a sales multiple of 2.5 represent 20%, 61% and 22% industry discounts. The 2009 purchase of Schering-Plough has bolstered earnings, but one-time charges have plagued recent results, most recently, a $950 million reserve related to a recall. Emerging markets are a growth venue. That geographic segment added 18% of quarterly sales. Bullish Scenario: Deutsche Bank forecasts that Merck's stock will advance 34% to $48. Bearish Scenario: Jefferies values the shares at $37.80, implying 5% of upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV