NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Insider trading is most profitable when several insiders buy around the same time. Academic studies have shown that insider purchases beat index funds by more than 7 % per year when there are several insiders purchasing.
Last week we published the list of companies with at least 3 insiders buying . Here is how those 7 stocks performed:
1. Bank of America (BAC) was up by 8.3% vs. 1.0% for SPDR S&P 500 (SPY) during the past week. The insider who paid $11.3 for BAC shares had a 12% return. We were right when we stated that this is a good point to monkey BAC insiders.
2. Versar (VSR) returned 4% during the past week, better than SPY's 1% return. However, it's a very illiquid stock, so monkeying wouldn't have yielded much in actual dollars.3. Rimage (RIMG) went up by 4.2% beating the market by more than 3 percentage points in one week. 4. Harris Interactive (HPOL) jumped 38.6% for a phenomenal return. However, the stock had a daily trading volume of only 30,000. Naturally, it isn't really possible to build a meaningful position in this stock (unless one has a very small portfolio). 5. Jamba (JMBA) went down by 0.5% during the past week. However, the last insider transaction had a 10-day return of 5.9%. The stock jumped by more than 6% in three days following the insider purchase and then leveled off. 6. Citigroup (C) rose 6.1% during the past week, beating the market averages. Last week we inferred that these insider purchases in banking stocks imply that the banking sector is undervalued in general. During the same time period KBW Bank ETF (KBE) also went up by 5.9% supporting our claim. 7. Buckeye Technologies (BKI): Buckeye went up by 3.4% during the past week. This one also managed to beat the market averages. Overall, the consensus criterion beat passive investing by 6-1 during last week. Excluding Versar (returned 4%) and Harris (returned 38.6%), the average return for this portfolio was 4.3% during the past week. Of course, this is just a very small sample and does not prove or disprove the credibility of monkeying insider purchases. Insider Monkey, your source for
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV