NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) is reportedly prepping its iPad 2 for launch next year, but the company is still expected to sell 8.5 million of its first iPad iteration in the U.S. by the end of the year.
The iPad comprises 88% of total tablet sales, according to eMarketer.
Of course, the development of innovative and exciting apps is a large part of the iPad's success. Culled from "top" lists on Apple's App Store and tech blogs and tested by TheStreet, here are 10 of the most popular free iPad apps to try ahead of the new year.
ABC Media Player
ABC's Player lets users stream dozens of their favorite ABC shows -- like Desperate Housewives and Modern Family -- to their iPads, for free. Available on the player are the most current episodes, as well as those from several weeks before. Besides browsing via show title, users can search by most popular, most recent and staff picks.We love that the app's latest version includes 3G streaming capabilities, which means we can watch our shows even when outside the WiFi zone. Our only gripe: waiting out the commercials that come with some shows.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV