Best and Worst U.S. Car Commutes
Californians also bear a bigger than average burden when they gas and go. San Jose commuters can expect to pay an average of $220 a month, and even the smaller communities of Oxnard and Palmdale pay upward of $230 and $207 a month, respectively. The average commuter's monthly tab will hit $210 in Nashville, $219 in Little Rock and $216 in Oklahoma City. Residents of Raleigh, N.C., pump away an average of $295 a month.
The various expenses for keeping a car on the road also add up significantly during the course of a year. In averaging 12 months of data for such items as toll and bridge fees, supplies and new auto parts, tires, parking lot fees, garages, auto body and repair shops, car washes and towing services, Bundle found Austin and Bridgeport drivers expend an average of $509 and $529 a month on these expenses, respectively. Car owners in Phoenix ($440), Dallas ($400), San Jose ($401) and Hartford ($401) also pay more than most of the country in these costs.
This category may be one area in which city drivers seem to get a break: New Yorkers averaged only $137 a month and Philadelphia's commuters just a bit more -- $156 on average each month. The prevalence of public transportation and each city's relative walkability are among the factors that may have driven down costs when spread among the population.
>To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV