Best and Worst U.S. Car Commutes
The best commutes
The cities that emerged as the least expensive and relatively free pf trouble included: Eugene, Ore.; Brownsville, Texas; Toledo, Ohio; Laredo, Texas; Anchorage, Alaska; Spokane, Wash.; Beaumont, Texas; Boulder, Colo; Akron, Ohio; and Buffalo, N.Y.
Boulder was "best" among the 90 markets surveyed, in large part because it had fewer commuters traveling fewer miles during their commute as compared with other cities. Brownsville followed close behind in both categories.
Though other factors bumped it off our top 10 list in this category, residents of Detroit, a one-time center of the universe for all things related to automobiles, spent the least on auto expenses and gas than any other city.
One of the obvious causes of roadway congestion is that many workers need to arrive at work at pretty much the same time. According to the U.S. Census, 53% of commuters leave for work each morning between 6:30 and 8:30 a.m.
- New York City at the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel northbound
- New York City at the George Washington Bridge eastbound
- Philadelphia at US-202 southbound
- New York City at the George Washington Bridge westbound
- Los Angeles at Interstate 10 eastbound
- Boston at U.S. 1 northbound
- Dallas at State Route 366 eastbound
The weekly fill-up can detract significantly from savings over the course of a month for daily commuters. One might imagine that with all its oil wells, Texans might have an easier time at the pump, but they, in fact, spend more than many others. Austin drivers, on average, pay $345 a month for fuel, significantly more than even fellow Lone Star denizens in Corpus Christi ($209), Dallas ($193) and Houston ($197).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV