Approximately 17 named storms, nine hurricanes and five major hurricanes will occur during the 2011 hurricane season, according to the study authored by well-known researchers Dr. William Gray and Dr. Phil Klotzbach.
What will likely differentiate 2011 is that atmospheric conditions make it more likely hurricanes will hit the United States, according to the report. The report explains that the lack of an "El Nino" weather system will allow tropical storms to reach the U.S. coast more easily.
Of the 12 hurricanes that took place in 2010, none made landfall in the United States. Since last season hurricanes steered clear of the U.S. and insurers such as Allstate (ALL), Travelers (TRV), and Chubb (CB) have avoided paying out billions in hurricane-related catastrophe claims.The report also estimates that hurricane activity going forward will be well above "active" and remain at the levels that were experienced between 1995 and 2010. During those years there were a total of 65 major hurricanes. "Because we are predicting an above-average hurricane season in 2011, the probability of U.S. and Caribbean major hurricane landfall is estimated to be above the long-period average," the study says. --Written by Maria Woehr in New York.
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Maria Woehr. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/newsgirlmw. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV