Story updated to include new MasterCard and Visa statement
Earlier Wednesday, payment network rival, MasterCard's (MA) website was also down, one day after the payments firm said it was disassociating its network from the controversial WikiLeaks website.
Visa said in a statement that its corporate website was "currently experiencing heavier than normal traffic." The company is "taking steps to restore the site to full operations within the next few hours."However its processing network, which handles cardholder transactions, is functioning normally and "cardholders can continue to use their cards as they routinely would" since account data is not at risk, it said. MasterCard issued a statement Wednesday saying that it had made "significant progress in restoring full-service to its corporate website." The card network's "core processing capabilities have not been compromised and cardholder account data has not been placed at risk," the statement said. "While we have seen limited interruption in some web-based services, cardholders can continue to use their cards for secure transactions globally." At last check, it seemed that some functionality to MasterCard's website had been restored but not all. Visa's website was still down. According to several published reports, internet hackers, supposedly supporters of WikiLeaks, have bombarded both companies websites in order to overwhelm the systems.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV