No. 5: Schlumberger
Schlumberger is an oil services company. Its services include including technology, project management and information solutions, as well as advanced acquisition and data processing assessments.
Schlumberger reported a robust third quarter. Earnings per share more than doubled, to $1.38 from 65 cents a year earlier. Based on revenue per rig day progression, the company is holding on to its market share, which will likely grow in the near future, according to analysts at J.P. Morgan. Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the company to report earnings per share of $3.26 for 2010 and $3.77 for 2011. EPS was $2.61 in 2009.During the past 12 months, the company's return on equity stood at 16.0%. In comparison, Baker Hughes (BHI), National-Oilwell Varco (NOV), CGG Veritas (WFT) and Complete Production Services (CPX) have returns on equity of 5.4%, 11.0%, -11.4% and -7.4%, respectively. Over the past year, Schlumberger's shares have jumped 37%, while peers have gained around 28%. Since its recent lows on Aug. 26, the stock has gained around 55%. Of the 37 analysts covering the stock, 32 recommend buying it, while five advise holding it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV