3. COLUMBIA SELECT LARGE-CAP GROWTH (UMGLX).
Return: 21.7%Assets: $3.4 billion Managers: Thomas Galvin, since 2003; Richard Carter and Todd Herget, both since March 2009 Top stocks: Amazon (AMZN) , 4.7%, EOG Resources (EOG), 4.5%, and MasterCard (MA), 4.4% Big winner: Lululemon Athletica (LULU) makes and sells yoga-workout wear. It comprises 4.4% of the fund and has soared 80% this year. Strategy: The fund has an aggressive investment style and is focused, holding only 30 stocks, with the top 10 making up 43% of the portfolio. It has a buy-and-hold strategy as portfolio turnover is only 27%. That approach contributes to its volatility, as indicated by its 44% decline in 2008 and 46% rebound last year. The health-care sector is a hefty 22% of its holdings, followed by consumer services, at 18.7%. The fund wanders from its large-cap category by mixing old-line large-caps, such as MasterCard (MA), with a $33 billion market value, with fast-growing newcomers, such as Priceline (PCLN), the online travel firm that's up 88% this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV