Ruby Tuesday (RT)
52-Week High Reached Tuesday: $14Like DineEquity's Applebee's and Brinker's Chili's, bar-and-grill chain Ruby Tuesday suffers from generally poor fundamentals coming out of the recent recession relative to other restaurants in the casual dining space. While the segment is doing poorly, stocks were so depressed at the start of 2010 that significant share price percentage gains in the year were, in large part, a simple bounce off serious lows, West said. West did credit Ruby Tuesday's management with setting low enough expectations that investors didn't expect much. That way when it did beat profit expectations the stock popped. Like others in the bar-and-grill segment, Ruby Tuesday focused heavily on "extreme discounting" in 2010 as a means of luring customers in the door. That worked well enough -- revenue in its recent fiscal quarter edged slightly higher and comps grew 1.2% -- but the drawback to that strategy is the training of its customer base to only buy when heavy promotions are offered. That means customers will either wait to dine at Ruby Tuesday until there is a discount, or save up their money and trade up to chains like Cheesecake Factory, West said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV