The euro was slipping slightly against the dollar as the Irish finance minister, Brian Lenihan, unvieled tax hikes and spending cuts the country must support in order to receive bailout money from the IMF/EU fund. Parliament still has yet to pass the austerity measure and a failure to do so would force Ireland to wait even longer for a financial life raft.
Silver prices, on the other hand, remained in record territory, settling 4 cents higher at $29.77. The poorer cousin of the yellow metal reached a 30-year high on Monday as ongoing European debt-contagion fears and Bernanke's talk about a possible third round of quantitative easing brought out the sparkle in gold's cheaper alternative.
According to BullionVault's head of research Adrian Ash, investors are increasingly going beyond gold to help diversify their portfolios.
Savant says that silver's safe-haven appeal is helping support high prices but that its fabrication uses are propelling their momentum. "
Gold mining stocks, a risky but potentially potentially profitable way to buy gold, were slipping as investors took profits. Kinross Gold (KGC) was down by 1.93% to $18.83 while Randgold Resources (GG) was losing 1.04% to $92.48. New Gold (NGD) was shedding 2.56% to $9.88 after shares were downgraded to market perform from outperform at BMO Capital. Gold Fields (GFI) was trading flat at $18.11 after the stock was upgraded to overweight from neutral at HSBC.
-- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV