WikiLeaks Founder Assange Arrested
Updated from 5:47 a.m. EST
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested by British police on a warrant issued by Sweden, according to reports.
Assange surrendered to London police on Tuesday. He is wanted in Sweden on suspicion of committing sexual crimes, allegations he denies.
Assange had been hiding out at an undisclosed location in the U.K. since WikiLeaks last week released more than 250,000 sensitive government documents related to U.S. foreign relations.A spokesman for WikiLeaks called Assange's arrest an attack on media freedom and said it won't prevent the organization from releasing more secret documents, the Associated Press reports. "This will not change our operation," Kristinn Hrafnsson told the AP. Assange had said he was planning another leak involving a big U.S. bank in early 2011. Reports say Bank of America (BAC) is the WikiLeaks target. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV