1. Schlumberger (SLB) is an oilfield-services company, selling supply technology, project management and information services.
Fundamentals: Schlumberger's 12-month sales inched up 1.2%. Third-quarter profit more than doubled to $1.7 billion, or $1.38 a share, as revenue gained 26% to $6.8 billion. Adjusted profit gained a more modest 7% sequentially and 11% year-over-year. The operating margin fell from 18% to 16%. Schlumberger held $2.6 billion of cash and $6.7 billion of debt at quarter's end, translating to a quick ratio of 1.1 and a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.2.
Valuation: Schlumberger's stock sells for a forward earnings multiple of 22, a 9% discount to the energy equipment and services industry average. Its book value multiple of 3.7, sales multiple of 4.7 and cash flow multiple of 21 reflect premiums of 25%, 52% and 13% to energy peer averages. Although seemingly expensive, Morgan Stanley has a bullish-scenario target of $180 for Schlumberger, corresponding to 57% upside. Its bearish-scenario target is $50.
To see these stocks in action, visit the Morgan Stanley's 8 Best Stock Ideas Portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV