3. Republic Services (RSG) provides waste collection, transfer and disposal services.
Fundamentals: Republic's 12-month sales have risen 8.6%. Third-quarter net income increased 11% to $134 million and earnings per share climbed 9.4% to 35 cents. Adjusted profit stretched an impressive 16% year-over-year. Revenue declined marginally to $2.1 billion. The operating margin remained steady at 20%. Republic carried $121 million of cash and $6.9 billion of debt at quarter's end, converting to a quick ratio of 0.4 and a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.9.
Valuation: Republic's stock sells for a trailing earnings multiple of 28, a forward earnings multiple of 15, a book value multiple of 1.4, a sales multiple of 1.4 and a cash flow multiple of 8.2, 22%, 27%, 54%, 36% and 44% discounts to commercial services peer averages. Its PEG ratio of 0.9 represents a 10% discount to estimated long-run fair value. Morgan Stanley offers a bullish-scenario target of $50 and a bearish-scenario target of $22. Its base-case target is $38.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV