6. Apple (AAPL) sells consumer electronics, including MacBook laptops and the iPad tablet.
Fundamentals: Apple's 12-month sales have expanded 52%. Fiscal fourth-quarter net income surged 70% to $4.3 billion. Earnings per share advanced 68% to $4.64, restrained by a higher share count. Revenue grew 67%. The operating margin declined from 30% to 27%. Apple held $51 billion of cash and marketable securities at the end of the quarter and no debt, converting to a quick ratio of 1.7. It is one of the most liquid U.S. companies.
Valuation: Apple's stock trades at a trailing earnings multiple of 21 and a forward earnings multiple of 15, on par with computer and peripheral industry averages. Its book value multiple of 6.1, sales multiple of 4.5 and cash flow multiple of 16 reflect premiums of 27%, 39% and 17% to hardware and peripherals peer averages. Yet, the stock's PEG ratio of 0.8 indicates a 20% discount to estimated long-run fair value. Morgan Stanley's bull target is $500. Its bear target is $250.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV