Kraft said Monday it is seeking a preliminary injunction in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York against Starbucks.
Kraft said "Starbucks is attempting to unilaterally end the strategic partnership that provides Kraft with the exclusive rights for the sales, marketing and distribution of Starbucks roast and ground coffee in grocery and other retail outlets."In seeking an injunction, Kraft wants Starbucks to stop moving ahead with business operations as if the agreement had already been terminated. Kraft argued "the contract is still in force." >> 10 Restaurant Stock Winners of 2010 Last month Kraft started an arbitration proceeding, challenging Starbucks' decision to terminate their 12-year supermarket distribution partnership. >> Kraft Challenges Starbucks; Shares Fall "Starbucks is proceeding with flagrant indifference to the terms of the contract and customary business practices," said Marc Firestone, Kraft's executive vice president, corporate and legal affairs and general counsel. "Instead of executing its rights under the contract to buy back the business, Starbucks has chosen a remarkably aggressive strategy that publicly disparages our achievements, interferes with our customer relations and threatens to harm Kraft." In response to Kraft's statement, Starbucks said Monday it "believes that it's unfortunate that Kraft has chosen to attempt this delaying tactic through seeking preliminary injunction, a course that will ultimately prove harmful to customers. Starbucks has repeatedly said that we have terminated our agreement with Kraft and we continue to look forward to assuming full responsibility for the sales and distribution of our packaged coffee products as of March 1, 2011."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV