The Apple developer who screamed "Verizon!" at a bemused Steve Jobs during the iPhone 4 launch may soon get his wish.
"Everything in our checks is pointing to a February launch of the iPhone at Verizon," Michael Walkley, an analyst at Canaccord Genuity told TheStreet. "We think it's going to sell very well and take share from Android."Canaccord and other analyst firms have recently raised Apple estimates on the strength of a Verizon iPhone. Pacific Crest expects to see the Verizon model sometime in the March quarter and recently hiked its second-quarter iPhone estimate from 12 million to 15.2 million units. Some analysts think it will arrive later: "While I am not convinced that it's going to be early 2011, I do think it will be [launched] by summer," Bill Kreher, senior technology analyst at Edward Jones, told TheStreet. "It would make sense to announce a CDMA iPhone with the iPhone 5." Kreher pointed to the June 2010 launch of the iPhone 4 and speculated that Apple may keep to a similar launch schedule in 2011, announcing both the new iPhone and a Verizon deal. "If you look at the typical cadence of the Apple announcements, they announce a Mac refresh in January, iPads in April, iPhones in June and iPods in September," he said. "I don't know that they want to upset that."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV