High-yield bonds, preferred stock, MLPs, convertible bonds and dividend stocks have tended to move with the general "risk-on, risk-off" trade. If stocks were heading higher, you'd see moderate capital appreciation in these vehicles, and when stocks headed lower, you would see moderate depreciation.
With the 10-year yield catapulting from 2.4% to 3.0% in a month's time, however, the spread between yield-oriented ETFs like iShares Preferred (PFF) or SPDR Dividend (SDY) and Intermediate Bond ETFs have narrowed. Consequently, investors recalibrate the risk associated with higher-yielding assets.
Large Company, Small Company
With the exception of most real estate data, the U.S. economy has shown definitive signs of improvement. It follows that investors are choosing small- and mid-sized company ETFs that hold corporations which primarily serve the American public.
Most small- and mid-sized ETFs have already hit fresh 52-week highs. Meanwhile, large corporations derive a huge chunk of revenue and profits from overseas operations. At present, the weakening of the euro and the slow growth of the EU economic region act as tailwinds to Large-Cap ETFs. The overwhelming majority of Dividend ETFs focus on long-standing, "been-around-forever," large corporations.You can listen to the ETF Expert Radio Show "LIVE", via podcast or on your iPod . You can review more ETF Expert features here .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV