The new chip technology, which goes by the catchy name of CMOS Integrated Silicon Nanophotonics, combines both electrical and optical components on the same piece of silicon. This lets chips communicate using pulses of light, as opposed to traditional electrical impulses, according to the tech giant.
IBM shares closed up 20 cents, or 0.14%, at $145.38 on Friday.
Verizon (VZ) is set to launch its long-anticipated 4G wireless network Sunday. Billing it as "the world's largest" LTE network, Verizon will offer the faster service in 38 U.S. cities. Subscribers will be sold $99 wireless modems to connect to a data-only network that Verizon says is up to 10 times the speed of its 3G service.Verizon shares closed up 16 cents, or 0.49%, at $32.90 on Friday.
Analyst firm Pacific Crest raised its Apple (AAPL) estimates during the week, as tech watchers get set for the introduction of both a Verizon iPhone and the iPhone 5. "The likely launch of a CDMA iPhone on Verizon in Q2 prompts us to raise our second-quarter iPhone unit estimate to 15.2 million from 12.0 million," said analyst Andy Hargreaves in a note Friday. The analyst firm, which expects to see a Verizon iPhone prior to the end of March, also raised its full year iPhone estimate from 54.1 million units to 59.9 million units. Apple's stock closed down 71 cents, or 0.22%, at $317.44 on Friday. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV