2. Bank of America (BAC) is a financial-services company. It's the top mortgage lender in the U.S.
Quarter: Bank of America's third-quarter loss widened to $7.3 billion, or 77 cents a share, hurt by a goodwill impairment charge in its credit card business due to a new regulatory rule. The company swung to an adjusted profit of $3.1 billion, or 27 cents, from a year-ago loss. Revenue fell 2%. The gross margin jumped from 43% to 66% and the operating margin climbed from 11% to 31%. Bank of America has $840 billion of debt, equal to a debt-to-equity ratio of 3.6.
Valuation: Bank of America's stock sells for a forward earnings multiple of 7.6, a book value multiple of 0.5, a sales multiple of 0.8 and a cash flow multiple of 1, 32%, 42%, 51% and 95% discounts to diversified financial services industry averages. Bank of America is selling at a discount to its five-year average earnings multiple of 15 and its profit spreads consistently exceed peer averages. The company's shares have fallen 22% in 2010 amid mortgage regulatory scrutiny.Dividend: Bank of America pays a quarterly dividend of one cent, converting to a paltry yield of 0.3%. Its dividend was cut from a high of 68 cents during the recession as the bank accepted federal TARP money.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV