2. Bank of America (BAC) is a financial-services company. It's the top mortgage lender in the U.S.
Quarter: Bank of America's third-quarter loss widened to $7.3 billion, or 77 cents a share, hurt by a goodwill impairment charge in its credit card business due to a new regulatory rule. The company swung to an adjusted profit of $3.1 billion, or 27 cents, from a year-ago loss. Revenue fell 2%. The gross margin jumped from 43% to 66% and the operating margin climbed from 11% to 31%. Bank of America has $840 billion of debt, equal to a debt-to-equity ratio of 3.6.
Valuation: Bank of America's stock sells for a forward earnings multiple of 7.6, a book value multiple of 0.5, a sales multiple of 0.8 and a cash flow multiple of 1, 32%, 42%, 51% and 95% discounts to diversified financial services industry averages. Bank of America is selling at a discount to its five-year average earnings multiple of 15 and its profit spreads consistently exceed peer averages. The company's shares have fallen 22% in 2010 amid mortgage regulatory scrutiny.Dividend: Bank of America pays a quarterly dividend of one cent, converting to a paltry yield of 0.3%. Its dividend was cut from a high of 68 cents during the recession as the bank accepted federal TARP money.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV